Tuesday, May 27, 2008

El Viaje a Guatemala!

Day 1:
Leaving Guatemala City
Driver and Navigator1st STOP: To Climb Ruins of Iximche...A little Archeologist and his Assistant...2nd STOP: Taking a Gander in the Gardens at Lake Atitlan...
Da Boys...At the end of the day -

This is where we ate dinner - overlooking the gardens and the lake - not bad.Our Hotel at Lake Atitlan: I seriously think we were the only people staying there - everyone working there kept saying "Para servirle" (To serve you) - so I think it was open just for us. It was gorgeous and everything was awesome except for the dog barking ALL night. Also, I woke up in the middle of the night and somehow Kalem had wiggled under the bed. Veiw from our room - looking out over the lake and the 5 volcanos that you can't see in the pic.The hotel gave us these power braclets - to keep track of us - cause like I said, we were the only ones there and we might get lost...para servirle. The hotel trampoline...para servirle.
DAY 2:
We took a boat across the lake to a town called Santiago. This lake is supposed to be the Waters of Mormon where Alma and his followers hid out.



Shopping in Santiago - Eric & Dad made friends with Pedro - our little champrone.




DAY 3:

The coolest city - Antigua. This city is built on ruins (supposed to be where King Lamoni's father's palace was where Aaron, Omni, and Himni were put in jail). In the 1700's the city was evacuated because it was falling apart...In 1900's people moved back and built right over the broken down city - It is the coolest place - connecting centuries of architecture.

And of coarse there's a lot of shopping...
We explored the catacombs of an old Church...beware of the bones beneath!

We had a yummy lunch on a second story terrace - Kalem can't decide on what to order... DAY 4:
The MTC!
We ate meals in the Cafeteria. The kitchen ladies were so cute to decorate the table for us - para servirle.

Kalem had an intense interview with the MTC President. Who is interviewing who?
And a lot of one-on-one with Grandma!

Sunday we got to see the Temple of Guatemala City - you can actually see the angel Moroni from mom & dad's apartment window.

6 comments:

Michelle Cox said...

What a fun trip! I'm so glad you guys had such a fabulous time! I think Gina has been to all those places, too. She always talked about how beautiful they were.

David and Deena said...

You captures the memories wonderfully! Thank you for making them with us! Dad & Mom

Chalonn said...

Wow..this trip looks amazing. I agree with mom..you did a great job taking pics and sharing them..I feel like I was there with you! Glad you got to go....and Kalem is PRICELESS!

Shannon said...

Wow! Looks like you had a great time in Guatemala. How cool that you got to see historical places from El Libro de Mormon...que vacan!

Mat, Chenae & Jackson said...

Good times I tell ya! Let's go back!

Tamara said...

You are cracking me up with your "para servirle." Sounds like an awesome trip.